Saturday, July 25, 2009

Can I Get a Witness

After the adult medical clinic was done for the day, I began writing in my journal. While I sat down on one of the steps to write, about eight Haitian children came to sit with me. They would just sit next to me and watch me write or want to touch me or hold my hand. They were all very sweet! Every once in a while some of them would say "blanc" to get my attention. Blanc means white in Creole. Most children have never seen a white person before so they don't know what else to call us. I do not take offense to it at all.

Many of the children would ask for things, usually tennis balls. They will say "Give me ball", which sounds almost like bowl. I had a hard time understanding what they were asking me at first, but I figured it out soon. They would point to things on your body and then point to themselves, meaning that they wanted you to give them that thing. We were told to try not to give out things to the children until the end of our stay, otherwise, we would be constantly asked for things. It was hard saying no.

While I was finishing up my journal entry for the day, I looked around the courtyard and noticed Jean Louis (one of our interpreters) sitting alone. We had worked together during the day, but I didn't really know anything else about him. I went over to him and asked if I could sit with him, he said that it was okay. I had the opportunity to learn about him, his family, and the Haitian culture. I had many questions and he graciously answered them all! I told him about my life and showed him pictures of my family that I had brought with me. I was intrigued with our conversation and the fact that I was actually able to communicate with him so easily!

I then did something I don't think I had ever done before. I asked him if he went to church and if he believed in God. He said that he did believe in God but did not go to church as much as he would like because of his job. He said that when he is not interpreting for our groups, he does other jobs to provide income for his son. He said that he is busy working, so that he is unable to go to church.
I shared with him some of my personal struggles and told him that it took me a long time to put all of my faith in God and give up control ( or the control I thought I had). When I finally realized and put God first in my life, everything else fell perfectly into place, just as God wants it to be. I shared some special scripture with him and we prayed together. I feel that we made a very special connection and became instant friends!

I was in complete shock because I had never been a witness to anyone before! It was so crazy because it came so easily! I was overwhelmed and so excited that I was able to share the word of the Lord with someone else! It was an amazing feeling!

My friend in Christ, Jean Louis!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Carrie! That is the power of the Holy Spirit working in you...when you are open and are available for God to use you things that are usually uncomfortable come so naturally. I am so glad you were able to witness to Jean Louis (I am sure he is too). You are an amazing woman of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonswa Carrie,
    You have a very humble and nonjudgemental way of describing the challenging conditions under which American teams must live and work virtually anywhere in Haiti -- especially a remote mountain community like Lotoré. All of your words convey that you don't see yourself as the great (white, Christian, American) savior making huge personal sacrifices to help/save these poor, ignorant people who apparently can't help themselves. You don't see yourself as working FOR our Haitian sisters and brothers, but WITH them. The Haitians have nice ways of expressing the concept of people working together as EQUALS . They might say, "N'ap travay tèt ansanm," which translates literally as "We're working heads together," or "N'ap kanpe/travay kole zepòl," (We're standing/working shoulder-to-shoulder"). You may remember the Haitian proverb I shared earlier in my "devotional", "Men anpil, chaj pa lou" (With many hands the load isn't heavy.) Anyway, it's very clear to me that you're working WITH our Haitian friends; not doing things FOR them. And they're blessed by your presence.


    I especially like a statement made by an Australian Aboriginal woman, Lilla Watson, an elder, educator, and activist among her people, "If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together." True liberation, of course, is political, social, economic and especially spiritual. That's how I see you and Jean-Louis working and growing together -- as you show so beautifully in your photo, tèt ansanm.
    Peace and Love to you too,
    Burt

    ReplyDelete