Monday, July 6, 2009

"It's a beautiful day in a third world country!"

Friday, October 10th, 2008: Day 3

I had a hard time falling asleep my first night in Haiti. I have never felt heat in the middle of the night before! I thought it usually got cooler, right? I was sweating in my sleep! It was difficult for me to fall asleep, mostly from my anticipation for the morning and all the events to come. But, the heat and the barking dogs didn't help my dreams either.

(FYI: As my family and close friends know, I have to have a fan to sleep. I am very needy I guess. They all thought it was hilarious that I was going to Haiti and I would not be able to bring my fan with me. They didn't think I was going to survive. Well they were wrong, sort of.)

Okay, so as I am trying to dozing off, I heard a noise in my room! I looked over my shoulder and a heavenly angel was at my bedside wielding a FAN! I never saw her face, because it was dark. All I saw was her and the fans silhouette. She plugged the fan into the only electrical outlet in my room and this wonderful breeze hit my face. It was magnificent! I was so excited that I forgot what little Creole I knew and just said over and over, "Thank You". How could the fan work without electricity you may ask. The people from the compound decided to leave the generators running all night long so that their guests (us) would be comfortable. I could not believe that they would have gone to such great lengths for us. What a wonderful and unexpected blessing, one of many on this trip.

I was woken up at 5 AM by a sweet voice saying, "Good Morning. It's a beautiful day in a third world country!". Mandy came in my room to get me up and ready to hit the road. I groggily got out of my bed with my wonderful fan and roamed around aimlessly. I finally woke up and started to get dressed and packed all my belongings, again. Mandy gathered all of our important items (i.e. passports, cash, credit cards, and cell phones) and put them in a special place for safe keeping while we were gone. I was told that we did not need to take any of those items with us, except a little cash to put in the collection plate for church on Sunday. Today was our day to travel to Lotore (the community where we hold our clinics and stay overnight), basically our home for the next three days.

I tried to get my stuff together quickly because I did not want anyone waiting on me! I was able to leave a few items in my room that I did not need to take with me (dirty clothes, bathing suit, extra clothes for traveling home, etc.). That helped to make my bag a little lighter too! As I walked out of the rectory, this was what I saw. Our ride!

This huge truck was getting loaded with all of our supplies for the trip. I knew that we had a lot of stuff, but I was not prepared for all of the other stuff that had to go with us that I didn't even think about! All of our bottled water, food, dishes, pots/pans, and many other boxes and bags of things! There were many people around helping carry and load things too. Come to find out, they were all coming with us to Lotore! I had no idea that much stuff and so many people, other than our immediate team, went with us to Lotore. It was a big effort!

This is a Chen (dog)! She looks sweet, but I think she was the one who kept barking all night!

Nurses Cynthia and Carrie (We had to have proof that we were in Haiti).

Mandy, Julie, Cynthia, and Brian ready to load up!

Chris, Matt, Dave, Billy, and Ed ready to hit the road!


We all had one last bathroom break (Remember, if its brown flush it down. If its yellow let it mellow. It is a strict compound rule!).

Our Haitian team members ready to go.

Yes, they are all riding in that one truck!

Our first team photo!

Back Row: Brewster, Brian, Chris, Matt, Dave, Billy
Front Row: Laura, Me, Cynthia, Ed, Leslie, Julie, Mandy


Eleven of our team members rode in the ambulance. Leslie and I squeezed on top of one another in the front seat with our driver Arturo. The rest of the team sat on two rows of benches that were situated across from one another, so they were facing each other. They all had to position themselves with who's legs would go where as they were all intertwined with one another.

The Ambulance.


Billy and Chris in the Ambulance.

Julie (eye still healing) and Cynthia squished together.

Brian and Laura (at least someones happy)!


The back of my head and a glimpse of Leslie up front. Ed smiling big (this was the beginning o f the ride though).

Chris and Brewster (always with a camera handy)!


Mandy and Matt decided to be a little more adventurous and ride in the bed of the little red pick-up! They rode with our cooks, translators, helpers, etc.


Now remember how I told you about my good friend Dramamine. Well, we became best friends quickly! Let's just say the ride was just a little bumpy!

Coming up next....On the road again!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie,

    Loved your latest blog entry! You capture the experience of trying to sleep at the compound in Anse-à-Galets beautifully. I've slept In almost a dozen different places in Haiti, but none is like St. Francis of Assisi. At Croix-des-Bouquets, the nighttime heat is just as bad, occasionally one or more dogs barks and trucks start rumbling on the streets at 3:30-4:00 am. But at St Francis, there are three or four dogs barking all night (loved the photo of the "sweet-looking" dog who probably kept you up all night), plus roosters, hens, goats, cows, donkeys, vodou drums, street preachers haranguing outside the compound gate, singing and preaching that starts about 2 am at the Nazarene or Wesleyan Church, boom-boxes, wheelbarrows bumping down the street, motorcycles and an occasional truck. All that plus the mosquitos that inevitably lurk or sneak into the rooms. To top it off, as I may have told you, on our first three visits to LGN, we took Lariam as a malaria prophylactic-- yes, the Lariam that at best causes vivid and generally weird dreams and at worst psychosis. Nevertheless, we all got by, gradually became accustomed to the night music and had wonderful experiences as most of us do. Then slept till noon for a few days after our return -- those who didn't have to go to work right away, that is.


    One note: I know that some folks call our driver "Arturo." Granted, he doesn't mind and his name sounds like "AH-too" or "R-2," but believe it or not, it's "Arthur" -- albeit with a Creole pronunciation. His full name is Arthur Alexis and he's one of my dearest friends on La Gonâve. We write back and forth a lot. He's a truly good Christian person.

    Looking forward to your next update. have a great week.

    Lapè, Burt Purrington

    ReplyDelete