Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Goodnight Haiti

After we took our last group picture, the men-folk went to the bar to enjoy a nightcap and Cuban cigars! While we were all hanging out, Chris told us that when he was in the hotel's boutique earlier, he accidentally bumped into a statue and broke it! To make matters worse, it was a statue of a naked lady! Of course, he had to buy it! Poor Chris! He said, "What am I supposed to do with a broken statue of a naked lady?". We laughed so hard but felt really bad for him. What made the situation even worse was that the boutique owner said that he would give Chris a deal. Yeah right, I think he said he ended up paying $75-100+ dollars! I think he ended up leaving it in his room. So much for his souvenir!

I didn't stick around much longer because my stomach was not feeling so well at this point. However, there was an upside to this situation...I had a real toilet to use! I know, this may be too much information for some of you. If you know me though, this should be no surprise!

Once my visit to the porcelain god was complete, I finished packing all of my bags (yet again). I had to squeeze all of my souvenirs in there somewhere! My poor luggage was so dirty and torn. I actually had to put duck tape on it to hold some tears together! Laura then returned to the room and she gave me some medicine to kill whatever bug that was in my tummy! I never had anymore tummy problems, thank goodness!

I was amused because I realized that I had not turned on the television the entire time I was in the room. Again, for those that know me, that is a big deal. It does not matter what time it is, what I am doing, or where I am; I always have the television on (if there is one). I may not even be paying attention to what is on, I just like it to be on in the background. Yes, I know this is a horrible vice. It's something I am working on! When I realized that I had not turned on the television, I actually laughed out loud at myself. It was like I didn't even realize that we had a TV because we had not been around one in so long!

One thing I did notice was that the room was cold! We had air conditioning and we were putting it to good use! However, it became too cold very quickly. We ended up turning it off completely because we realized we didn't need it! How funny! We had access to all of these amenities (or necessities to some people), and we weren't even taking advantage of them! It's things like that that remind you how blessed we are and how we take so many things for granted.

While Laura and I were laying on our beds, we began talking like two little kids at camp. We talked about the amazing journey we had just been on and how it had changed our lives. We discussed how hard it was going to be to return home and to re-adjust to our normal lives after this past week. I was nervous about returning home and being thrown back into reality.

Before I knew it, I had completely passed out in mid conversation! What a great way to end an awesome week!

Coming Up Next...Back to Reality...Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment