Friday, August 21, 2009

You've Got Mail

I have forgotten to tell you about one very important thing. Every single day I was on our trip, I received mail! Real mail!

From the moment I stepped on the plane, to my first morning in Lotore, in church, and my last day in Haiti, I received some form of mail from home. Before I left for Haiti, my mother secretly wrote notes, cards, and letters for me to receive every single day I was away. I know. She is so adorable and sweet! She packed my first card into my carry-on backpack so that when I opened my bag on the plane, I had a farewell card to read to send me off!

She was so sneaky and gave all of the other envelopes to Mandy. Mandy was my Haitian mailman (or lady, whatever) and I didn't even know it! My mother dated each envelope with the day Mandy was supposed to give it to me. So each morning I would either wake up with my mail on or around my bed or, when I left a room and then returned, a card would miraculously appear! It was so fun and I loved it! Every day I looked forward to opening my mail!

Some of the notes were silly and made me laugh and others made me cry. The letters made me feel so loved and special. My mom also included scripture and insight from her trip to Haiti on some of the cards. Every day I was able to get a little piece of home, so that was awesome! I am sure it helped me not get homesick also!

My sister even joined in on the action, so I have gotten lots of mail. I have saved every single piece of mail and will forever cherish each one!

Thanks to all who have sent me mail in Haiti! Special thanks to Mom and Angela!

2 comments:

  1. I am always so "homesick" when I see all of my kids reading letters from their parents when we go on mission trips. I think that's so special and nice that your mom and sister do that. Reading your and Anglela's blogs makes me so homesick to live near my mom and sister! Be THANKFUL that you're in the same town with them!

    ReplyDelete