Tuesday, August 25, 2009

So long, Farwell...

After we finished our awesome swim, we loaded back into the ambulance and drove back to the compound. When we arrived at the compound it was just about dark, so the generators were in full gear. Everyone was busy trying to pack up all of their stuff now, because we had to have all of our bags ready to go before we went to sleep.

Before I knew it, it was time for dinner. Tonight the ladies prepared a feast! We had a huge spread of food and it all tasted so good! I had rice with veggies and beans, fried potatoes and plantains! This dinner was bittersweet. It was our last night on La Gonave and we all knew that our mission was complete. We all realized that this might be the last time that we would all be together at the same time again. On the same note, we were excited to go home to see our families.

After dinner, our interpreters returned to say goodbye. We all exchanged phone numbers and email addresses in hopes of staying connected. Hugs were given all around and a few tears were shed. These men were a part of our team, our family. We would not have been able to do what we came to do in Haiti without them. I will truly miss Webster, Dens, Bob, and Jean Louis.




Webster

Webster is a wonderful man! He has such a gentle and caring soul. Webster truly cares for every patient he sees and treats everyone like a family member. Webster is a hard worker who doesn't quit until the job is done. He loves working with Mandy and helping all of his Haitian brothers and sisters. He is one of the kindest persons I know.
Bob
Bob is a jokester who keeps everyone laughing. No matter what the scenario, he makes sure everyone has a smile on their face. He is also all about getting the work done and will help anyone to get the job accomplished. Bob might be a little hard and sarcastic at times, but he really is a big teddy bear and has a great personality!
Dens
Dens has such a sweet spirit. He is a quiet man but speaks volumes through his artistic abilities. Not only is he fluent in English, Creole, French, and Spanish, but he was self taught! Dens is so knowledgeable, loyal, and kind! He has been a translator for almost every single mission trip our group has been on!
Jean Louis

Jean Louis is a man that is willing to do whatever it takes to help people. While we were working, he was pulled in every different direction and never complained once. Jean Louis is a patient and kind man who stops at nothing to make you happy. He might have a hard shell, but once you get to know him, he is a big sweet heart.

Once we all said our goodbyes and got one last group picture together (which I don't have. I don't know why), it was on to our last devotional which was lead by Mandy. We met on the porch of the rectory. We opened our devotional in prayer and then Mandy asked us what was the most profound thing God had done for us on this trip. Each person shared their story. It was so cool to see how God used each of us in different ways. Each story ended up having something about how close we all had become over the course of this week. I felt the same way.

I was very emotional during my time to talk. If you have ever seen me cry and try to talk at the same time, you know it is pretty scary! I wasn't able to say everything I wanted to say because I was a blubbering mess! I was sad about our team "breaking up" and going our separate ways once we returned home. I was also sad about physically leaving Haiti for fear of losing my Haitian lifestyle/mindset. Things just made sense to me here. Things just seemed so much simpler and raw in a way. Being here made me realize what is truly important in life and I was afraid that once I left, I would lose it. I felt so much closer to God while in Haiti and I was terrified of not having that when I returned home. It's amazing how I was taken out of my comfort zone but ended up feeling more comfortable than ever! I know it might sound crazy, but it's true!

It's amazing how a few days ago, we were 13 individuals starting a journey together. Now, we are leaving Haiti a family of 13. I love every single person on this trip, and I am so blessed to have befriended them. I have had such a wonderful experience that words can never fully explain. I have also had so many opportunities to see, try, and do new things that I would not have had elsewhere.

Once all the tears were shed, we ended in a long prayer of thanksgiving and for safe travels tomorrow. We all hit the sheets early so we would be ready to catch our plane at the "airport" at 7am.

I slept in my own little bedroom again. It's amazing how different this room/bed is now compared to my first night here. After staying in Lotore the past few days, I now felt like I was staying at the Hilton! I got to sleep on a bed! With a pillow! I had a window! With glass! We had a toilet! The kind that flushes(with exceptions)! We had a faucet and shower! With running water (remember, don't get it in your mouth though)! It was a great feeling to have all of these things again (even though we did okay without them)! However, my mind was never far from the Haitian people. Some who have nothing, literally.

My nightly prayer from my journal: Thank you Lord for revealing to me that I am capable of doing anything. Thank you for calling me to do you work and serving your people. Even more, thank you for giving me the ears to hear your call. Thank you for every single person on this trip. They have all impacted my life in ways they will never know and I am so grateful for them. Thank you Lord for this wonderful and eye-opening experience. I pray for continued safe travel and for all the Haitian people in their everyday endeavors. Thank you Lord for all of your magnificent and bountiful blessings!

Coming up Next...Let's Go!

1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!! I especially liked your tributes to each of our interpreters. That's what it's all about -- Haitian & American sisters & brothers working kole zepòl, tèt ansanm ak kè ansanm (shoulder-to-shoulder, heads together and hearts together). Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and making all of the lives of those of us privileged to read your words that much richer. You embody and reflect God's love beautifully. Burt

    ReplyDelete