Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane

Tuesday, October 14th, 2008: Day 6

Mandy came into my little room around 5:30 am and woke me up. I did not sleep well last night. Down here in Anse-A-Galet, it is much hotter and there is so much more noise. I definitely slept better when I was in Lotore! How can I complain though, I had a bed to sleep in. A roof over my head. Food in my belly and access to bottled water! I am beyond blessed!

I got dressed and ready for the day. Today we were flying from the island of La Gonave back to the mainland/Port-Au-Prince (PAP)to spend the night. Our flight was supposed to leave at 7am ,so we had to have all of our bags/supplies loaded up in a truck so they could be put on the ferry that was leaving at 6am. All we kept with us were our backpacks.

We had a short breakfast of peanut butter and bread, coffee, and cokes! We then said goodbye to everyone else at the compound. We all loaded into the ambulance. That is 14 passengers, plus our driver Arturo! We were a sight to see! We were like the clowns crammed into the tiny clown car!

We drove out of the gates and through the streets of Anse-A-Galets. Of course the ride was bumpy, but we have become immune to it now. It is second nature!

We arrived at the "airport" terminal....

Here's the runway...



When we got to the airport, I expected our putt-putt plane to be there waiting for us. It was no where to be found! I was told that out plane might show up! What...it might? Ok, so we just waited. Just go with the flow!
We were able to appreciate our beautiful surroundings, and the view was spectacular. We were overlooking the water with sailboats and the beautiful mountains in the background.

Matt was being adventurous and went exploring.
Cynthia, Chris, Julie, Mandy, Chris, Leslie, Brian, and I waiting at the airport.
Our "ground crew" consisted of one tiny old Haitian man. He had to be over 70 years old. He wore an orange reflective vest and waved a little Haitian flag. He was cheerful and so excited to see us! He hugged and shook hands with all of us. You could tell that he took pride in his job. He was absolutely precious! I wish I had a picture of him...darn.

It didn't take too long for our plane to arrive. We all loaded up and were distributed in the plane to make sure the weight was balanced. This time I was not nearly as scared or anxious to fly. I was some what prepared for the flight.
As we took off, I glanced out the window to look down at La Gonave. My heart sank into my stomach and it took so much effort not to burst into tears. I was not ready to leave. I was overwhelmed with emotion and was shocked at how I fell in love with this place. It is said that Haiti is the country that the world forgot and La Gonave is the island that Haiti forgot. I know I will never forget this beautiful place!
It was heart wrenching to watch the little island get farther and farther away; knowing that we were going home, and we were leaving people that did not have one. Knowing that we would be eating a wonderful meal later, and that we were leaving people that didn't have enough money to feed their children. Knowing we would be able to drink water out of our spickets at home, and that we were leaving people who were dying of thirst. Knowing that we had jobs to get back to, and leaving people who don't make more than $ 2 a day.
As quiet tears streamed down my cheeks, I said goodbye to the island. The place that opened my eyes to new things. The place where I learned so much about myself and what I was capable of. The place where I developed amazing friendships. The place that strengthened my faith and relationship with God. The place that changed my world forever. Good bye La Gonave.
Coming up next...Back to Reality

1 comment: